Discussion Column is intended to organize conversation in the list item without need to enable list versioning. Component allows entering rich text with formatting, images, tables, hyperlinks, etc.
Actually Discussion is similar to an IM message system: many users are able to create rich-text messages, but there is no ability to modify previous messages. As IM, discussion control can show who and when has published post (configured in column settings).
Useful thing is that it is possible to show all conversations in list view or just a hyperlink to "View Item" form. It is helpfull when discussion has many items and page becomes congested.
You can also arrange your comments in chronological or reverse chronological order. User signature could be displayed on top or bottom of an entry.
- Organizing discussion without enabling list versioning
- Comments editing
- Filtering of empty records
- Ability to show whole discussion history or only link to it in list view
- Show user name as a link to user profile page
- Display posts in chronological or reverse chronological order
- Choosing position of user signature
- Import data (text) from existing SharePoint Multiple lines of text column
- Language pack support (desired localization could be added by request)
Why ArtfulBits Discussion Column?
It is possible to use standard SharePoint "Multiple lines of text" column with "Append Changes to Existing Text" option for organizing discussion, but:
- Versioning of a list has to be turned on
- New version is created each time items are edited
Even if you edit item, new record will be displayed in discussion history, whether it is empty or not.
ArtfulBits Discussion Column resolves these problems and avoids list versioning, also it does not append empty records to discussion history.
Recent Changes: New Features:
- Added SharePoint 2013 support
- Added comments editing functionality
- Added item custom forms support
- Added Column Data Adapter </products/sharepoint/column-data-adapter.aspx> integration
- Added cross-browser support for comment editing
- Added "Save site as templ
Install Support: Install and Uninstall
Supported Languages: English, German, Ukrainian
Additional Requirements: Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows SharePoint Services v3, MOSS2007, SP2010, SP2013
Latest Releases in Development - Components & Libraries
TagCloud for VCL 2.1(2014-10-01) update
A Delphi components, that are based on an idea of tag cloud navigational element
Editor.NET 2.3(2014-09-30) update
Editor.NET is an advanced code editor.